Saturday, January 3, 2015

Genetics and Labor


2 days after my anatomy scan I got a call from a genetics counselor saying that the ultrasound revealed something didn't look right about Reid's bladder.  They thought it may be a condition that I can't even remember now, and that the condition wasn't that serious.  We met with a geneticist and did another ultrasound and he said that the heart, lungs, kidneys, and spine looked good.  That was a relief.  The bladder though he wasn't sure about… it didn't look like the condition they mentioned before but something was definitely different about it.  He did an all over body scan and also mentioned that something about his anus looked odd, but only sometimes.  He said maybe an imperforated anus maybe not.  He explained what surgery would be required if it was that but he wasn't sure.  I had to do more ultrasounds every month with this Dr who we didn't really like. At the next ultrasound he said that he had sent Reid's images to a few other Dr's and they concluded he had a duplicated bladder.  He had 2 bladders that were functioning on their own but connected side by side.  He also said that Reid had a single vessel umbilical cord but that was no big deal.  His other concern was that he may have hypospadias which is where his urethra is misplaced.  It wasn't a guarantee but he said based on the shape of Reid'd penis he thought maybe.  My anxiety that I was having with Reid's pregnancy just got worse.  We knew that at some point they would need to do a surgery to correct Reid's hypospadias and possibly more than 1 but it could wait until he was about 6 months old.  It was a fairly rare condition, we were talking to a Dr. in Roseville about it and he had only had 3 cases of hypospadias in his career. So this was something we had to swallow, but all his Dr's said I could still have a normal delivery in Modesto like with Parker.  As time came closer to Reid's due date I started having anxiety attacks.  Michael was about to fly to Ohio for a family wedding (that I was suppose to go to and we had lost $700 on the plane ticket!) and at the last minute (the day he was suppose to fly out) he decided to stay home because I felt that things with Reid weren't right and that I could deliver early.  He was going to be returning when I was 36 weeks… that's how far along I was when I had Parker.  At 35 weeks my Dr. took me off of work because of my anxiety attacks and the fact that they were getting so bad. Then at 38 weeks pregnant the same way it did with Parker, my water broke.  

There is no excitement in the world quite like knowing your water has broken.  It means your life is about to change… not in 9 months it's going to change but in a few hours.  My labor with Reid went a little quicker than Parker's and a lot more painful!  I had a birth photographer present because Michael was going to deliver Reid.  It was such a happy day for me, everyone I loved most was in the room including my Dad.  I was pushing and pushing and pushing, Michael was all suited up and ready to go.  
Then the midwife said change of plans, call the Dr.  All of a sudden people were scrambling and there were beeps and sirens.  The midwife got in my face and said I needed to get Reid out with this push.  I pushed and screamed as hard as I could and did it.  He was out.  8 lbs 10 oz 21.5 in long he was gorgeous and plump. 








They laid him on me for 1 maybe 2 seconds and I could see his shoulders and back only. Then they took him away.  He hadn't cried yet.  It wasn't too long and he started crying, Michael was over with him look at him and I asked about the hypospadias.  This was when we were going to find out what Reid's future in the medical world would be like.  Michael came back over and said Reid had a few more anomalies that we weren't expecting but that everything was okay.  He didn't have hypospadias but he had something else… he didn't know what it was.  An indention in his butt, like a second hole but it was covered by a skin flap.  It's hard to picture in your mind but you will have to, for Reid's personal privacy I won't be sharing pics of his bottom.  I couldn't picture it and by the time they handed him to me he was in a diaper and wrapped up.  I asked them if I could nurse him and they said they would prefer no but it I wanted to it was okay.  I had a tough time nursing Parker so I was excited to have a second chance with Reid.  I nursed him about an hour after he was born and he did okay.  While still in the labor room the neonatologist came over and took a bunch of pictures of him, I wasn't sure why.  We went over to the maternity side of the hospital and I was on cloud 9.  He was born at 1:59 pm and took his first breath at 2:00 pm.  At 4:30 we were taken to the maternity ward and by 5:15 I had a nurse come in and that was the start of the hardest 2 weeks of my life.  

No comments:

Post a Comment